Bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, is the constant grating of the teeth, often creating damage on tooth enamel, effects on jaw muscles, and the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Lee F. Peterson DDS wants to help you discover your symptoms and find which source of treatment is best for you.
Some indications of teeth grinding include:
– Cramps of the jaw muscles
– Clicking or popping of the TMJ
– Headaches continuing throughout the day
– Cracked dental fillings, injured gums and/or teeth
– Painful jaw muscles or pain in the face, particularly in the lower part of the jaw
Many of these causes can be from anxiety, stress, missing teeth, an abnormal bite, or sleeping disorders. Talk to your doctor about examining your medications if stress or anxiety contribute to your bruxism as well as additional options to reduce your stress.
The TMJ and chewing muscles may be affected by teeth grinding due to force on the teeth. Teeth grinding may also result in alterations of the face, esthetic problems, small or deep fractures, and loss of teeth. The following tips are useful ways to prevent further teeth grinding:
– Stop using alcohol or smoking.
– Avoiding foods and drinks containing caffeine due to tooth deterioration.
– During the day, try training your tongue to rest behind your teeth to stop yourself from grinding or even clenching.
– A night guard is a good way to protect your teeth at while you sleep, so have your dentist fit you with one adjusted to your needs.
– Abstain from opening, sucking, or chewing plastics or woods such as pens, pencils, containers, or straws.
Stop your teeth grinding by contacting us at 559-584-8129 here in Hanford, California to get an appointment or consultation today. Lee F. Peterson DDS will be happy to assist you with your needs and relieve your pain.